Do you want to know one of the top uses people have for text alerts?
I’ll give you a hint: it has to do with the outdoors and it rhymes with Heather.
Weather text alerts are immensely popular across a vast variety of organizations, from banks to churches to YMCA’s.
What Are “Weather Text Alerts”?
Let me give some examples.
- The church picnic is scheduled for tomorrow but the forecast calls for rain. How do you communicate to everyone that you’re canceling?
- There is an unexpected blizzard this morning and you’re going to have to close down shop because the roads are unfit to drive. How do you let employees know not to come in to work?
- An outdoor volleyball game is supposed to take place in an hour, but you hear thunder in the distance and decide it’s best to postpone the event. How do you get the word out to inform people of the change in schedule?
In all of these situations an important piece of information needs to go out to a large group of people in a short amount of time. Typical ways to communicate this type of information include email or social media. The problem is that there is no guarantee that people will check their email or see the social media post in time.
This is where many people have turned to text messaging.
Why Use Texting?
There are several reasons why people use texting to communicate unexpected delays, postponements, or cancellations due to weather.
- Most people carry their phones on them at all times. This means that with a text, the information is going directly to the recipient no matter where they are or what time of day it is.
- Most people check their text messages within minutes, as opposed to emails which can go unread for days. Even social media messages don’t have as quick a read rate as texts, especially for people who don’t own smartphones!
- People appreciate having information in their text message history for easy reference. This makes it easy for them to review and recall the updated information.
- Mass texting is surprisingly affordable, which is ideal for organizations on a tight budget.
- Text messages are easy to send out quickly. In times of unexpected weather changes, this quickness is ideal (and sometimes necessary).
How Do I Take Advantage of Weather Text Alerts?
To take advantage of weather text alerts you must first set up a text alert system. Then the next time you need to communicate a weather-related church service cancellation, delay in hours of operation for your business, or event postponement, all you need to do is enter in a message and hit “Send”!